VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Crevasse Rescue Drills at Wreck Beach #1 · Tuesday, September 19th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Tuesday, Sep. 19th, 4:00 pm
End: Tuesday, Sep. 19th, 7:00 pm
THIS TRIP IS HAPPENING IN SPITE OF LOW SIGN-UPS. See you at Wreck Beach at 4pm!
This trip continues the series of crevasse rescue clinics at Wreck beach. The set-up is changed from previous years with a focus on learning by doing. There's at least one more sessin like this a week after, and hopefully a few in spring.
This is a great opportunity to review the crevasse rescue systems for all the G1 and G2 graduates and anyone else who wants to refresh their skills.
This is not instruction but drills. As you come to the beach I'll have a scenario set up for us and we'll start right away with setting up a rescue system. We'll try to make it as realistic as is possible on the beach and we'll time it. Afterwards we'll have a debrief of what went well and what went bad. Then there should be time for one or two more drills.
Since we'll just be doing drills, this is not great for beginners. However, I don't like turning people away, so if you're a beginner and super-stoked, then thouroughly read the chapter on crevasse rescue in 'The Freedom of the Hills' and you can join. During the drill you'll have a team-mate to practice with, so you'll be fine.
Come prepared! Bring whatever you think you need for a crevasse rescue except the rope.
At 4pm we'll meet on the main part of Wreck beach, close to the bottom of Trail 6 (take the stairs from Cariboo House).