VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
7th Annual Jared Stanley Memorial Mountain Safety Lecture · Wednesday, November 30th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Wednesday, Nov. 30th, 7:00 pm
In January 2005, Jared Stanley, a UBC student, passed away while back country skiing on Mount Seymour. Every year, the VOC hosts a memorial lecture in his name, this year's will the 7th installment.
Jared's family, Anna and Bob Parton, fly out every year to attend the lecture and speak a little bit about Jared. The Partons are great speakers and great people.
The Partons memories of Jared will be followed by a talk given by one of Canada West Mountain School's guides who will be addressing their views on safety in the mountains from the perspective of someone who is responsible for managing group safety, a highly relevant subject for the VOC.
Its an interesting, and emotional evening and very much worth attending for people of all experience levels.
Date: November 30th 2011
Location: MATH 100