Members can insert new events into the calendar
and signup for trips, but please read the instructions
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Daughter of Ice · Sat. Feb. 10th - Mon. Feb. 12th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Nick Hindley
Start: Saturday, Feb. 10th
End: Monday, Feb. 12th
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Feb. 7th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: ClubroomDescription:
Ice climbing is badass.
Daughter of Ice is the VOC’s yearly introduction to the glorious world of swinging sharp things at frozen stuff. There will be some basic instruction and tips on technique, ice anchors, and plenty of time to practice. Climbing ice is like nothing else you’ve ever done, and this is the perfect situation to try it out.
This year it will be held over the February long weekend at Marble Canyon, outside of Lillooet. Although it’s a ~5 hour drive, Marble Canyon is ideal for learning to climb ice, as the frozen stuff forms reliably and top-ropes can be set up with minimal gear. We can also car camp for free and with fires, just a quick 10 minute walk away from the ice! Depending on people’s wishes, we will leave either Friday afternoon, or Saturday morning. We will return on Monday after two full days of climbing. If you can't make the full weekend, please don't sign up so that those who can get the spots.
This trip is mostly beginner friendly. You don’t have to know how to climb rock or ice, but camping experience is a necessity, and winter camping experience will help. It will be cold! It is important that everyone brings the right stuff. We'll be car camping, so I encourage you to bring all of the warm things; it has been known to be as cold as -25 C for Daughter of Ice!
At the pre-trip, we will discuss gear, vehicles, and tent/ food groups. If you do not know how to belay, or have never winter camped, you must attend the pre-trip. Due to the size of the area, and that we do not want to overrun it for other people, I’m going to limit the number of people going to Marble to 15.
I'm looking for a couple instructors that know how to climb ice, build ice anchors, and bonus points if you can lead up to WI3+.
Check out the message board thread for gear lists, and general discussion. If you have any questions, chances are that many other people do too, so I'd encourage you to post them.
Disclaimer: we are not certified guides, just people who have done this before and think we know what we're doing. Ice climbing is dangerous, and hazards include falling ice, climbing falls, sharp objects, the cold, over-stoke. Thanks to Matt Kennedy, whos trip description I largely stole.
Here are some photos of DOI from previous years to get you st0ked. Especially the last one.
Posted: 2018-01-04 21:32:30
Last modified: 2018-01-30 12:52:11