VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Overnight ski trip to Elfin Lakes (beginner-friendly) · Sat. Dec. 1st - Sun. Dec. 2nd
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Dec. 1st, 6:00 am
End: Sunday, Dec. 2nd, 10:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Nov. 28th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: VOC clubroom
What to do in the mountains between October (usually) and June? SKI SKI SKI!
Want to give this whole "camping in the freezing cold" thing a try? Want to try putting skins on your feet and walking in the mountains? Want to whiz downhill and crash into things? Then join us!
We will get up early on Saturday, hike to the snowline with skis on our backs, and then skin up (on skis) to the campground at Elfin Lakes, where we will camp (we will not stay in the hut). There are outhouses, as well as a shelter to cook in. On Sunday (and maybe on Saturday) we will go ski some laps and practice using avalanche safety gear, then ski back down to the cars and drive home. If you're a more advanced skier we will try to put you in a group that will ski more. Elfin Lakes is our intended destination, but if there isn't much snow we'll go somewhere else.
A good resource for packing is this gear list (https://www.ubc-voc.com/wiki/Gear_lists#Winter_Overnight). The VOC rents most of the gear you will need, including telemark skis, boots, skins, and poles, as well as a (mandatory) avalanche beacon, probe, and shovel. If you don't have a stove or a tent, don't worry----come to the pre-trip meeting and we will try to find you someone to share with. Bring waaaaaaaaaarm clothes! Lots!
This is a beginner-friendly trip, so if you're new to skiing or camping this could be good for you. But be prepared to struggle a bit!
And for everyone: attendance at the pre-trip meeting is mandatory.