VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Kinda Beg. Friendly Ski Day trip on the North Shore · Friday, December 16th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Friday, Dec. 16th
A short day trip to get some exercise after weeks of living on pizza and Timmy's (good ol' exam times)! And just to get some of the floofy white stuff, of course. Without sacrificing Friday night. Plan's to be home by 6pm.
We'll take the earliest bus up, hike up the BCMC with skis (or you could meet us at the chalet. I'm too cheap to take the Gondola up), then skin around Dam mountain and the general area-I haven't been up there much in the winter so it'll be a general rambling about kind of day. We might take the Gondola down, though.
If you are a beginner-one word of caution is that it can get pretty steep around the area (in terms of cliffs and things), so having been on skis is probably necessary.
If you're a beginner to backcountry though that should be no problem.
I'm organizing a beacon search on Wednesday before this trip, so please try to attend if you've never used a beacon before or don't quite know how to use it yet.
So, I guess the checklist is:
-Take a look at the online avalanche course: http://www.avalanche.ca/cac/training/online-course
- Attend a beacon search practice (check them out on the agenda (I'm running one, there might be more))
- what to bring http://www.ubc-voc.com/wiki/Gear_list#ski_day_trip
Post on the msg board for questions :)
Trip is tentative on weather, I don't really want to ski in the rain...
There is no pre-trip.