VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Son of Rock - Learn to Rock Climb! · Sat. May. 4th - Sun. May. 5th
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, May. 4th, 8:30 am
End: Sunday, May. 5th, 5:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Tuesday, Apr. 30th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: IKB Room 182
Exams are over, the rock is dry (hopefully), the snow sucks, and the days are long!
Son of Rock is the VOC's annual spring instructional rock climbing event held in Squamish. This trip is for people who've never touched rock before, all the way up to those wanting to learn trad or multipitch. Saturday is a full day of instruction, split into groups based on ability, and Sunday is an optional day to try out your sweet new climbing skills. We'll be camping at Mamquam River Campground on Saturday night and a limited number of people (tbd - will depend on the number of cars) can go up on Friday night to camp if they don't want to drive up Saturday morning. The pre-trip meeting (time & location tbd) will be mandatory. There will be a cost of $10 per person as a learner to cover the cost of the campground reservation which you need to bring in cash to the pre-trip to be signed up as going. It is free for instructors.
Check out the Wiki page for the event for more details about logistics and the gear you will need to bring. Helmets, harnesses and shoes can be borrowed from the VOC, but you need to get your own locking carabiner and belay device (this can be shared in pairs if you are in the intro course, Rock 1). Helmets are mandatory for everyone. Cars, instructional groups, tents, etc. will be sorted out on Google Docs which will be posted in the first couple weeks of April.
We will hopefully have enough room in instructional groups for everyone, but this isn't always possible. To increase your chances of getting a spot, sign yourself up as committed as soon as you're sure you can come (committed opens April 18, 9am). You will be signed up as 'going' at the pre-trip meeting the week before the trip once you have paid your $10. If you can instruct - please sign up as an instructor. (You'll save $10 and if we don't get enough and you've instructed before, I will end up bugging you anyways...)
**Also - please consider volunteering on Sunday morning. The volunteering itself will be decided as we get closer to the trip, but will likely be with the Squamish Access Society (SAS). Especially if you plan on climbing a lot in Squamish this summer, you won't be missing much Sunday morning, this counts as a Workhike, and is a great way for the VOC to contribute to the community.