Members can insert new events into the calendar
and signup for trips, but please read the instructions
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Cousin of Cave · Sat. Oct. 26th - Sun. Oct. 27th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Nick Hindley
Start: Saturday, Oct. 26th
End: Sunday, Oct. 27th
Pre-trip meeting: Tuesday, Oct. 22nd, 7:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: ClubroomDescription:
Cousin of Cave returns for it's fourth installment!
This is your chance to become aquainted with the joys of Vancouver Island's subterrainian world; including - but not limited to - mud, tight awkward spaces, absolute darkness, squeeze crawling, and mud. It will be the most intimate with rock you have ever been. I hope.
The plan is for three (~4 person) groups to head to Vancouver Island to do some caving, most likely in an area west of Campbell River. These caves are generally very wet, so we'll likely be wetsuiting up, and there is a decent amount of opportunity for ropework and in-cave rappels. So, there are some prerequisite skills needed.
- Rappel experience (preferred)
- SRT experience / rope ascending (preffered)
- Comfortable with confined spaces. Very confined spaces.
- Above average sense of (type 2) adventure
- Ability to shotgun a PBR in under 15 seconds
I'll be running a pre-trip meeting and 'classroom' session (1hr). We'll discuss speleomorphology, cave formations, cave safety, and how to minimize our impact on the fragile environment inside a cave. This will be followed by a 1-1.5hr SRT clinic in the Aviary to practice rope ascending, and getting your setups dialled. If you have not ascended ropes before, or if you are borrowing equipment you are unfamiliar with, it is strongly recommended that you come to this - it will make us much more efficient in the cave, and you'll thank yourself for it when its the end of a long day and you're cold and wet.
Due to the small group size and technicality of this trip, it will not necessarily be first come first served. Signing up as commited does not necessarily guarantee your place. Sorry :( I wish I could take everyone but just can't. Sign-up closes and group will be finalized Oct 15th.
This trip is rain or shine; caving can be done regardless of weather. Also we'll camp down the logging road or something for the overnight.
Post on the message board or shoot me an email directly if you have any questions!
Posted: 2019-07-17 20:19:17
Last modified: 2019-10-16 20:41:12