VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Sister of Serac (Ice climbing!) · Saturday, September 7th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Sep. 7th, 2:00 am
End: Saturday, Sep. 7th, 11:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Thursday, Sep. 5th, 7:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: VOC Clubroom MAP
Who's sick of summer? Who's ready for the chilly embrace of ice climbing?
Let's go to Mount Baker and climb some ice! A section of the glacier has relatively stable and benign seracs that offer extremely fun hero ice. In summer!
You don't need to have climbed ice before (it does help), but you do need to know what you're doing on glaciers. You also need to realize that seracs are inherently unstable and although these are relatively safe, they still can fall. You also need to be able to legally enter the US.
Historically ice climbing trips have been a pretty popular and things get competitive. People who can drive into the US, people with significant prior experience, and people with first aid training are more likely to get to join.