VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
SPHINX!! Hut for GNAR points · Sat. Jan. 28th - Sun. Jan. 29th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Jan. 28th
End: Sunday, Jan. 29th
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Jan. 25th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom
**EDIT This trip is to SPHINX hut now. I didn't actually check the "reservation status" for brew and it seems like a lot of other people want to be up there this weekend! **
Sphinx hut is not heated and it is quite a bit further than Brew hut.
Here's the deal:
The game of GNAR involves skiing + extraneous activities, much like normal VOC hut trips. Sphinx hut is not the perfect venue for a GNAR point competition, since it does not have cell phone service. It does, however have a lake... Which should be frozen. Gnar points will be awarded to anyone who falls in. We will be departing Vancouver early Saturday morning, and returning late Sunday night.
This trip is not so beginner friendly, since there is a pretty rough 15.7km and 1100m elevation gain trek in! GNAR points will be deducted if you: wear cotton clothing, forget your avalanche gear, forget your headlamp, sign up for this trip but then don't show up at the pretrip meeting.
Extra GNAR points may also be awarded for: having AST certification, breaking trail, hauling up a ridiculus item to the hut (unless it causes you to slow the group down in which case GNAR points will be deducted), bringing a musical instrument up to the hut/ knowing how to play it, giving me food (ie chocolate) that you carried up to the hut.
*GNAR point scoring is in its infancy for backcountry touring. I reserve the right to add additional rules to the game of GNAR as the weekend goes on.*
The group size is limited to 16 based on the size of Brew hut (GNAR points will be awarded to you if there is no room for you in the hut and you sleep in a tent).
Hopefully we have a good AST to non-AST skier ratio.
See you at 6pm on Wednesday for the pretrip meeting,