Members can insert new events into the calendar
and signup for trips, but please read the instructions
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Burns 'n Turns 2020 · Sat. Feb. 1st - Sun. Feb. 2nd
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Alberto Contreras Sanz
Start: Saturday, Feb. 1st, 6:00 am
End: Sunday, Feb. 2nd, 10:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Thursday, Jan. 30th, 6:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: ESB 2012Description:
Céad míle fáilte,
Five years ago lost VOCers organised a ski trip - Burns supper combo, and this tradition has been kept going each year since in their memory.
This year shall be no different. Haggis shall be made from scratch (both meat and veggie options) and dragged into the mountains (Neil and Ross, both Scotsmen, were in complete agreement that the stuff you can buy here just isn't very good...). Whisky shall be consumed and good times shall be had!
In keeping with the spirits of both Neil and Steph, this trip will be as inclusive as possible. However, our destination (Phelix hut) is quite the trek (~10 km and around 1000 m elevation gain). The terrain to access the hut can be quite technical, and this highly depends on the snow conditions. Therefore you should feel comfortable (i.e. safe, not necessarily graceful) skiing through tight trees, steep and maybe icy forested slopes. This would not be a good time to try out skis and backpack combination for the first time. If you are new to skiing with a backpack, but are otherwise a competent skier, you should test it out at some other beginner friendly trip, and of course, and intro to back country trip which will happen sometime before this one. If you don't feel comfortable on skis, or the above sounds beyond your skill level, please consider joining Ross' sister trip 'Burns sans Turns' on snowshoes which can be rented for free from the club.
So long as you are prepared to grunt all day we'll make sure everyone gets there (relatively) happily.The area around the hut offers excellent backcountry skiing if you have the extra energy and experience. The hut is beautifully warm (finally has a stove!) and fits about 25 people in decent comfort. More people can sleep outside in tents and enjoy a much more quiet night!
This trip will also include:
- An Ode to the Haggis, An Ode to the Lassies and an Ode to the lads.
- *Scottish dress such as a kilt or sweater is also welcome and greatly encouraged*
- Consumption of Scottish drinks such as whiskey and other Scottish delicacies (Scottish eggs, mac&cheese pie?)
- (Live?) music, singing, maybe learn some Ceilidh***?!
In the spirit of the VOC, those who have significant ski touring experience will be helping those without. Therefore, the total number of participants will be determined according to the number of experienced VOCers who will come along to help.
***We will also have a mini Ceilidh. No experience required but coming along to one the Ceilidh events at the Scottish Cultural Centre organized by Ross Campbell is highly recommended!
More details to come nearer the time.
(most of the text is stolen from Ross and Lianne's trip description from past years)
Posted: 2019-11-14 23:52:21
Last modified: 2020-01-13 16:02:39