VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Winter camping at Elfin · Sat. Jan. 25th - Sun. Jan. 26th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Jan. 25th
End: Sunday, Jan. 26th
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Jan. 22nd, 6:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Outside the clubroom
Hi guys! I wanted to do some snowshoeing and winter camping next weekend, and thought where better to do it than Garibaldi.
I ran this trip with the parks Canada club last year and it went really well.
I think a max group size of 12 would be good, but flexible depending on cars.
I would be keen on having a group on skis and we can’t fit in a couple laps on Sunday on our way back.
The plan is to drive up early saturday morning to the Diamond head parking trailhead. Directions are here: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/garibaldi/diamond.html. Note that tire chains are mandatory for the final 2km stretch to the upper parking lot, but we can always just hike this section from the lower parking lot. We will work this out with the drivers!
From there we will snowshoe to the elfin lakes hut, the route is 11km each way and very well marked. A description of the trail in the winter can be found here: https://www.outdoorvancouver.ca/snowshoe-trail-guide-elfin-lakes/.
We will be camping outside (NOT sleeping in the hut) so make sure to figure out a tent situation. We can organize tent spaces at the pre-trip meeting, and we will build a small shelter to sprotect the tents from wind.
Important Note: We will need a backcountry pass for each tent, theyre $6 each and can be purchased here: https://discovercamping.ca/Garibaldi. Don't fret about buying them too far in advance - we can pay per tent and likely save some money by purchasing them together.
Anyways! Feel free to email me ([email protected]) with any questions or concerns, or message me on facebook (Alia Sanger).