VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Glacier School (G1) Students · Sat. Sep. 19th - Sun. Sep. 20th
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Sep. 19th, 6:00 am
End: Sunday, Sep. 20th, 8:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Sep. 16th, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Zoom
!!! This is the student sign up. Instructors, please sign up for the other trip !!!
Welcome back from a rather unusual summer!
Despite the pandemic, we are still holding Glacier School this year. The aim of G1 is to provide an opportunity for you to learn enough about snow and glacier travel to not be a liability in a rope team with more experienced people.
- Backpacking/overnight camping experience
- Moderate fitness level (you’ll be carrying a heavy pack for several kilometers)
Due to the reduced size this year for COVID, you will not be allowed to attend if you are missing any of these prerequisites.
Unlike past years where 60 VOCers storm a glacier for a weekend of skills and mulled wine, we will be spread out over three glaciers this year. Each glacier will have two or three groups, which will camp separately from each other. We will be following the VOC COVID guidelines. If you are signing up with someone in your bubble, please let me know by email so that I can consider that when putting groups together.
Instructors for G1 are volunteering their time to ensure that basic mountaineering skills are retained in the club. While I understand that glaciers are pretty and that many people just want an opportunity to see one up close, G1 is not that opportunity. If you attend G1, I ask that you lead trips or assist on other instructional trips in this coming school year. If you have any questions about leading your own trips, please feel free to contact me.
Instructors for glacier school are club members who volunteer their time, and are not professional guides. If you don't feel comfortable taking responsibility for your own life in the context of an informal course advised by VOC instructors, you should take a mountaineering course offered by a professional guiding service.