VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Beginner Friendly Taylor Meadows (ski or snowshoe) · Sat. Nov. 28th - Sun. Nov. 29th
Warning, this trip has been cancelled : The COVID monster is out and about again... sorry to say we can't all go skiing together!
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Nov. 28th, 6:00 am
End: Sunday, Nov. 29th, 8:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Tuesday, Nov. 24th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Zoom
Early season ski or snowshoe to Taylor Meadows! We will head up early Saturday morning and stay overnight, leaving Sunday afternoon. We will have access to a warming shelter to cook in, but try to avoid using it (COVID).
This is a beginner friendly trip, I'd estimate a "Level 2". Everyone is welcome, but given it's early season we'll likely be carrying our skis for several kilometers up the switchbacks, so you'll need to have a relativley good level of fitness (check out the Swole Series if you need motivation getting fitter)!
There is the possibility of skiing some laps up towards Black Tusk on Sunday morning (or on Saturday evening if you're really speedy)! That will likeley take you into avi terrain - for the safety of all group members this means you need your AST-1 if you intend to ski above the meadows.
Please read the VOC COVID guidelines. We will be following these guidelines on the trip. If you need a stove or tent partner, you'd ideally pick someone that's in your bubble. Please try and use the message board (link above) to find a partner or contact me if you need help!
Info For Beginners:
- This is winter camping, baby! You're going to need a winter sleeping bag, and lots of warm, non-cotton layers.
- Check out this packing list for basic gear.
- If you need information on how to layer clothes, what sort of food works for winter camping, or any other basics of this wonderful sport, read this super comprehensive article from REI. Seriously... read it! It's great.
- Ignore all the hyperlinked things for you to spend all your money on in the REI article. We'll do gear rental's from the VOC! Check out the VOC gear list and see what you need to rent (we'll discuss this at the pretrip).
- I will be doing a beginner Q&A/winter camping info session 30min before the pretrip. Please come to this if you have outsanding questions from the above information!
Please get in touch if you want to help co-organize this trip.