VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
16th Annual Jared Stanley Memorial Lecture · Thursday, January 21st
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Thursday, Jan. 21st, 7:00 pm
End: Thursday, Jan. 21st, 10:00 pm
This is the 16th annual Jared Stanley memorial lecture. Due to restrictions on public gatherings, the event will be held as an online lecture.
The lecture is open to the public, not just club members.
The lecture will be held at this link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84682037064?pwd=Yk9jUzVTcTFGUzd5ZDVyL1JFQTBvQT09
The lecture starts at 7 pm.
The Jared Stanley Memorial Lecture is an event organized by the VOC in memory of UBC student Jared Stanley, who passed away while backcountry skiing near Mt. Seymour in 2005. We feel that the best tribute to Jared is to talk about risk and decision making in the mountains, and hopefully help people to continue to come home safe from the mountains we love. This is a great event that is worthwhile for people of all experience levels.
This year, North Shore SAR member and VOC alumna extraordinaire Julie van de Valk and Elliott Skierszkan are excited to be speaking at the upcoming Jared Stanley Memorial lecture.
Julie will share her Experiences from SAR & Essentials of Trip Safety Gear.
Elliott will speak about Forming Good Trip Planning Habits.
We are also joined by Anna and Bob Parton, from Texas, who will paint an emotional picture of what happens when someone you love doesn't come home from their adventure.
Please join in and support safe outdoor recreation in our community!