VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Who Belongs Outside: A workshop on barriers to BIPOC in accessing outdoor communities at UBC · Wednesday, February 24th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going" (members can also sign themselves up as "actually going" on this trip, using the signup page).
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Wednesday, Feb. 24th, 5:00 pm
End: Wednesday, Feb. 24th, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Zoom
The UBC Surf Club, Varsity Outdoors Club, and Ski and Board are teaming up to host an event centered on the barriers to accessing the outdoors that BIPOC folk face and the role of UBC clubs in creating and maintaining these barriers. We are excited to invite Juju Milay, Jojo Das, and Jaylen Bastos to speak about their experience in outdoor communities in Vancouver and their advocacy work to dismantle barriers and increase inclusivity and diversity in their outdoor communities.
Each speaker will present, and then attendees will be split into small breakout rooms to participate in a guided workshop.
This event is open to all interested!
To get the Zoom link, register on the official Eventbrite page https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/who-belongs-outside-a-workshop-on-dismantling-barriers-tickets-141248497057
Join Zoom Meeting https://ubc.zoom.us/j/67704619870?pwd=RTBZUXVwYmRlK3QrVy9nY01iOWpMUT09 Meeting ID: 677 0461 9870 Passcode: 431639 One tap mobile +17789072071,,67704619870#,,,,,,0#,,431639#
A bit more background:
A split off group of the VOC's IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Action) committee joined forces with other students and club members at UBC to form this event. The working group is made up of members of the VOC, Ski and Board Club, and Surf Club. We have been meeting weekly since the beginning of January. We have secured funding from a grant with [email protected] to support our speakers.
Attendance is mandatory for all club executives, encouraged for all club members, and open to anyone!
If you have questions or concerns over organization of the event, topics being address, and/or accessibility, please contact me and I'll help you out :)