VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Reading Break Tofino Surf Fest · Wed. Nov. 10th - Sun. Nov. 14th
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Wednesday, Nov. 10th, 6:00 am
End: Sunday, Nov. 14th, 11:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Saturday, Oct. 30th, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: TBD 1/sqrt(2) (|zoom⟩ + |clubs-room⟩)
UBC has introduced a reading break for the fall semester this year! Unfortunately, the skiing in early November can be a little sketchy (especially for beginners), but on the other hand, the swell in Tofino is bumping and the summer crowds are gone.
Join a group of VOCers on a trip up to Tofino where we will spend 4 nights at the surf grove campground at Cox Bay. The site offers beach access, electricity, showers+WC, a fire ring, picnic table, surf rentals, and wifi! So if you just want to surf for 2 days with the rentals, and then hang out by the fire and study with the wifi for the other 2 days, that is totally up to you. Whether you have surfed for several years or you have never gotten up on a board, you are encouraged to signup!
Location: Cox Bay Surf Grove Campground, Tofino BC
Date: Wed November 10th - Sunday, November 14th
Cost (rough estimates): $142.17 (+food and rentals) per person (rough breakdown shown below)
Camping cost $250.80 per group of 4 (for 4 nights) ⇒ $62.7 per person for thecamping (i.e. $15.68 per night per person)
Ferry Cost (cheapest available) leave 6:15am-7:55am return 8:45pm-10:25pm ⇒ $204.40 per group of 4 = $51.10 per person for the ferry
Gas Costs (assume 4 people in car) ⇒ [40km (van->hs bay) + 204km (Nan->Tof)]* 2(both ways) * 15L/100km * 1.55 $/L /4people = $28.37 per person for the gas
Food Cost (BYOF or make a food group with other participants).
Rental Costs – If you do not own your own surfboard and hooded wetsuit (+booties and gloves), then you will need to rent. Prices will vary from shop to shop but ~40$ a day for the full kit.
(Note: exact costs for communal stuff will be split after the trip and will be slightly above or below these expected prices.)
If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email or DM (@tobiasfaehndrich).