VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Elfin Lakes Overnight Ski Trip (Beginner Friendly) · Thu. Dec. 9th - Fri. Dec. 10th
Warning: This is a tentative trip
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Thursday, Dec. 9th, 8:00 am
End: Friday, Dec. 10th, 8:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Saturday, Nov. 27th, 8:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: TBD 1/sqrt(2) (|zoom⟩ + |clubs-room⟩)
POV: It is December 8th and the last class of the semester just finished yesterday. You realize you have been so caught up with school work that you haven’t been able to shred with the homies yet. With only a few days until final exams begin, you wish you could get a breath of fresh air and have some fun times ski touring before final exams take over the next 2 weeks of your life.
It sounds like you are ready for an overnight VOC ski touring trip! Elfin Lakes is a classic beginner trip that is 11km one way and ~600m elevation gain.
For junior backcountry shredders: If you have never gone backcountry skiing then this is a great trip to start off with! Ideally, you should be comfortable skiing blue runs on the resort (or you might want to walk a few sections). Although I hope you are keen to try out ski touring (you can rent gear from the VOC!), this trip is also suitable for snowshoers.
For senior backcountry shredders: Come share the stoke and build an inclusive environment for new friends to join the local touring community. If conditions allow, people can go ski columnar or gargoyles, or the more mellow trees in front/ behind the hut.
Taking an AST-1 course (or equivalent) and bringing a transceiver, shovel, and probe (**and knowing how to use the gear**) is highly recommended for everyone on this trip and is mandatory for anyone who is interested in skiing off of the skin track.
As of now, I believe there is no information on if the hut is going to be opening this season but I have emailed parks BC enquiring about this. Thus, as of now I will keep this trip tentative and will update this page as new information comes in. Posting now will allow me to gauge interest and will inform me how many spots I should reserve. Plan B is to camp in winter tents outside.
In the past, I have reserved the full hut and done a communal feast where everyone pitches in $5 for a big dinner and breakfast. This would only be possible if we have access to the hut and can be discussed closer to the date.
NOTE FOR DRIVERS: Cars need to have at least M+S tires and you also need tire chains/cables (parking at 1000m)!!
Location: Elfin Lakes (just outside of Squamish)
Date: December 9th-10th 2021
Cost: ~30$ (15$ for hut + ~$10 for gas + $5 for food)
If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email or DM (@tobiasfaehndrich).