Members can insert new events into the calendar
and signup for trips, but please read the instructions
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Intro to Backcountry · Sat. Jan. 29th - Sun. Jan. 30th
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Haley Foladare
Start: Saturday, Jan. 29th
End: Sunday, Jan. 30th
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Jan. 26th, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: clubroom Description:
Want to go skiing for cheap, explore snowy mountains, avoid large crowds and get some exercise while you're at it? Then you might want to check out the backcountry!
The goal of this trip is to help people who know how to ski transfer their skills to the backcountry. You will learn about backcountry travel, avalanche awareness and winter camping, but this is definitely not an avalanche course and we are not certified guides. If you think you want to get into backcountry skiing (or plan on being in areas with avalanche risk no matter what's attached to your feet) you should definitely take your AST1!
We will skin up to a fun location (probably Mariott Basin), set up camp, hopefully do some skiing above camp, sleep and then repeat in reverse order on Sunday. More details are available on the wiki page, and gear that the club rents can be found here.
- ability to ski blue runs, ideally with tree-skiing experience
- ability to carry overnight gear for one night (backpacking experience)
- The snowboarding equivalent is also fine, just be prepared to faff with a splitboard.
- If you're not sure if you meet the pre-reqs and really want to come feel free to send me an email.
Have backcountry experience and want to help out? Please sign up as a helper!
The pre-trip meeting is mandatory. If you can't make it send someone to represent you or send me an email.
Posted: 2021-11-24 13:59:47