VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Son of Rock (Learn to climb in Squamish) · Sat. May. 12th - Sun. May. 13th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, May. 12th, 9:00 am
End: Sunday, May. 13th, 8:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Thursday, May. 10th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Irving K. Barber Learning Centre room 261
The annual spring learn-to-rock-climb event in Squamish. This is for people who have never before touched rock, all the way up to learning to lead trad. One day of instruction on Saturday and an optional day of climbing on Sunday. Camping will be done at the Chief campground, but there are no reservations, so get your site Saturday morning before we meet up for climbing instruction. The pre-trip meeting is also mandatory to arrange rides and instructors. We have harnesses, shoes and helmets (yes, you absolutely need a helmet or we will not let you climb) for rent from the club, but you will need your own belay device and locking carabiner.
Climbing levels are:
1. Learn to top-rope. Suitable for anyone who has never climbed. If time permits, we can also teach you how to rappel.
2. Learn to build top-rope anchors: For those are know how to climb and belay, but want to learn how to set-up their own top-rope anchors. We will also probably teach you how to clean and rappel from your anchors.
3. Learn to sport climb. This is for people who are experienced at top-roping and setting up top-rope anchors and want to learn to clip bolts.
4. Learn to trad climb. This is for people who are experienced at top-roping, setting up top-rope anchors, know how to lead climb and lead belay, and want to learn how to place trad gear properly.
Warning: none of the instructors are real rock climbing instructors; they are just people who think they know how to climb. Climbing is also dangerous.
Katherine is getting us personal liability for everyone on this trip, it is therefore limited to 50 partisipants (instructors plus students). To pay for the insurance, each student must pay 10 dollars at the pretrip meeting. You must also sign a waver that Katherine is making, which must be signed at the pretrip meeting (meaning you must be there or sign it before and have your friend bring it). You cannot sign the form Saturday morning since the AMS needs it before the trip!