VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Tin Hat Mountain · Mon. Jun. 27th - Thu. Jun. 30th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Monday, Jun. 27th, 8:00 am
End: Thursday, Jun. 30th, 10:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Thursday, Jun. 23rd, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: zoom
Let's go kayaking at the end of the beautiful Sunshine Coast! For this trip we'll drive all the way out to Lund, set up a car shuttle, and then do a loop through Desolation Sound and Copeland Islands Provincial Parks. Finally, if there's time and motivation I'd like to see if we can fit in a night at the Tin Hat Hut on the return. In all we will do 36km of kayaking over 2.5 days and 18km of hiking over 1.5 days. If some want to drive separately and just do either the kayaking or hiking part of the trip that works too. Some kayaking experience is needed, including knowing how to exit a rolled kayak.
Things you will need for the trip:
- kayak: can be rented in Lund for $115 or $185 for double kayaks. Note that those renting will be responsible for reserving them at http://www.terracentricadventures.com/rentals/kayak-rentals/kayak-rental-rates/
- safety gear: PFD, rescue kit
- camping gear: tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad
- food for 4 days
- clothing for both good weather and rainy weather
Day 1: Take an early ferry and drive to Lund (note there are two ferries to get there). Set up car shuttle from Lund to Okeover Arm. Kayak to Grace Harbour or Hare Point and set up camp (8-10km).
Day 2: Kayak leisurely from Desolation Sound to Copeland Islands (20km). Set up camp on one of the Copeland Islands.
Day 3: Kayak to Lund (7-8km). Return kayaks and drive to Tin Hat trailhead. Hike to Tin Hat Hut (9 km hiking) and set up camp/stay in hut.
Day 4: Hike back to trailhead. Return to Vancouver.
Let me know if you have any questions!