VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Hike up Grouse via Dreamweaver · Monday, August 29th
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going" (members can also sign themselves up as "actually going" on this trip, using the signup page).
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Monday, Aug. 29th, 8:40 am
This trip was originally scheduled for August 1 but has now been postponed to August 29.
Do you like visiting ancient trees? Interesting bridges? Squeezing over, under, and through fallen logs? Paths with a definite uphill atmosphere? Crossing creeks on logs? Fun? Then join us!
This is not your grandma’s Grouse Grind. We will instead start at Mosquito Creek, taking the Cascades, Dreamweaver, and Simic’s trails until we get to the upper gondola station. Then we’ll head off to nearby Dam Mountain or Thunderbird Ridge in search of a nice view. We’ll finish by taking the gondola down ($20). (If some people prefer, they could hike down via the BCMC trail instead.)
There will probably be about 1000 metres of elevation gain over roughly 15 km. We’ll hike for about 7 hours.
Hopefully we’ll find some trees that are a couple metres in diameter. You can read more about Dreamweaver’s trees here:
This hike is beginner friendly. With that said, the entire hike is uphill, so hikers should bring a good level of fitness.
Where and when
8:40 am: Meet at UBC bus loop at 44 bus stop. Take 44 to Waterfront Station.
9:30 am: Meet at Waterfront Station next to the A&W (inside the station). Take Seabus and 249 bus to trailhead.
10:30 am: Meet at trailhead.
10:30 am to 6:00 pm: Hike.
6:00 pm: Take gondola and busses back to Humble Abodes.
You are also welcome to drive, but note that this hike starts and ends at different places. You’ll either have some extra walking to do or you could see if there are other drivers who want to shuttle.
The trailhead is here: https://goo.gl/maps/m23Nha8qGgu11zY7A
What to bring
You probably don’t need long underwear, pants, or other gear for warmth. Instead, bring lots of water. You might be happy with 3L. At the very minimum bring 2L. I’ll take my water filter, but we’ll be unlikely to find water once we get to higher elevations.
Also bring a bus pass and $20 for the gondola down.
According to the ski resort's website, dogs are not permitted at the top of Grouse Mountain. Dogs are very welcome for the first part of the hike (until the end of Dreamweaver).
If you have questions or suggestions, by all means send me an email or text! You can find my contact info by clicking my name at the top of this page.
Hope to see you there!