VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Juan de Fuca Trail · Thu. Jun. 1st - Sun. Jun. 4th
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Thursday, Jun. 1st, 7:00 am
End: Sunday, Jun. 4th, 9:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, May. 24th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom
I've wanted to hike the Juan de Fuca Trail for a while now, and I'd love for some VOCers to join me!
The plan is to leave Vancouver early on the Thursday morning and begin hiking around lunch time. We'll be hiking from south to north (China beach to Botanical Bay), so the first day will be relatively short - hence why we can start a little later in the day. We'll hike it over four days so we won't be in too much of a rush. On the last day, we'll get the connector bus from Port Renfrew back to the car and head back to Victoria, and then on to Vancouver in the evening.
The trail is roughly 47km long, with about 1400m cumulative elevation. We'll be hiking for four consecutive days with heavy packs in variable weather and trail conditions, so anybody who wants to join should have some hiking/overnight experience. In tems of gear, see the VOC summer overnight packing list here (with an emphasis on rain gear and gaiters!) https://www.ubc-voc.com/wiki/Gear_Lists#Summer_Overnight_Trip
Approximate cost: $50 each ferry cost; $10 per person per night BC Parks reservation fee; $60 each trailhead bus fee (we'll go over the car situation in the pretrip)
Because this will be my first time leading a trip, I want to limit the group size to just five people in total, which will also make the logistics easier. I have never hiked this trail before, so if anybody has some experience and is down to join, please sign up! Please also sign up if you have a car! If not then we can just rent one, but that will make things slightly more expensive.
Pretrip attendance will also be mandatory - mainly to sort out the logistics - but we'll also go over the plan in more detail of course.
In the meantime, feel free to email [email protected] if you have any questions!
Posted: 2023-05-05 11:21:09
Last modified: 2023-05-11 18:05:22