VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Peak 2 Peak aka the spearhead · Sat. Apr. 16th - Sun. Apr. 17th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going" (members can also sign themselves up as "actually going" on this trip, using the signup page).
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Apr. 16th
End: Sunday, Apr. 17th
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Apr. 13th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom MAP
I wanted to do the Spearhead since I arrived here four years ago, and I definitely want to do it before they put in all those hut. It seems that there are excitement about the spearhead in general, so I thought that I would post it as a trip.
The Spearhead Traverse is a spectacular horseshoe ski traverse linking Whistler and Blackcomb mountains. It is a committing route that is almost exclusively alpine terrain with few options for escape in the event of poor weather. Most of the route is above 2100 meters and has great views. It is considered one of the 50 best backcountry ski trips in North America.
I wanted to do the trip without the lifts, but as we only have a weekend, I decided that I wasn't fit enough to skip the lifts. Therefor we will be starting from the top of the lifts on Blackcomb Mtn. Route describtion can be found in Baldwin's "Exploring the Coast Mountains On Skis" or on this wiki page: http://www.ubc-voc.com/wiki/index.php?title=Spearhead_Traverse
Total elevation: 1900
Total distance: 34 km
Price of lift ticket: $45.00 plus HST
This trip is intermediate friendly. You need to know how to ski and be in reasonable shape. If in doubt send me and email.
Disclaimer: This trip will only happen if the weather is great (as I need to be back on Monday to get on a plane).