VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Brew hut powder skiing (beginner friendly) · Sat. Dec. 15th - Sun. Dec. 16th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Dec. 15th, 5:00 am
End: Sunday, Dec. 16th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Dec. 12th, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: clubroom
Noriko and me are organizing a beginner friendly skiing trip to the beautiful Brew hut.
You can come on this trip if you have never skied before and you don't have to have AST1 or equivalent but you should generally know how to use avi gear (and you should bring it). Snowshoers are welcome too.
A list of the gear needed for this trip can be found here:
and here is more information on Brew hut:
The trip size will depend on experience levels and more experienced people are very welcome to join and help out.
Some more details:
Please note that beginner friendly does not mean that the trip is easy for everyone. Beginner friendly means, that we won't leave anyone behind and that no very technical skills are required. However, we will likely need the full day to get to the hut. That means that you will move with a (hopefully not too) heavy backpack on skis for a full day through thick powder snow uphill. Depending on the snow conditions and our speed we might arrive at the hut well after sun set. Therefore you should be fit and somewhat tough. Also, especially if you are a beginner, please don't bring any useless heavy stuff.
Since we require avalanche gear, you should have a look at this section on avalanche rescue: http://www.avalanche.ca/cac/training/online-course/rescue. Otherwise, bringing beacon, shovel and probe is pretty pointless.
Please also have a look at Roland's comments in the message board http://www.ubc-voc.com/phorum5/read.php?3,90908,91028#msg-91028 and feel free to post any questions there.