VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Rain City Central - Fundraiser for Tyler Lewis · Saturday, July 20th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- External Link: For extra information not hosted on the VOC site.
- This trip does not use the signup tool.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Jul. 20th
On December 9th, 2012, Tyler Lewis, a VOCer, passed away while backcountry skiing in Cypress/Hollyburn.
On July 20th, 2013, Sean McBeath is having an exciting fundraiser to honour his dear friend, Tyler. Sean, with the support of two long time racing friends Liam Fisher and Dion Maxwell, will kayak from the inner harbor of Victoria to downtown Vancouver, a 135 km voyage, in under 24 hours – something that has never been done before.
Among the wildlife (Orcas, seals, birds), vast outdoors, and unspoiled environment, the route ideally encompasses the spirit of the wilderness that Tyler was so passionate about. It will be a difficult journey that will challenge the paddlers physically, mentally, and emotionally, but under the supervision of two safety boats and the desire to pay tribute to a close friend and mentor, every bit of pain will be well worth it.
The Tyler Lewis Clean Energy Research Foundation will also support Sean McBeath in his exciting fundraiser.
The goal of Rain City Central is to raise $15,000 for the Foundation. Both personal donations and business and organization sponsorships are welcomed. Please visit the Rain City Central website for detailed information and ways to donate; you can also follow the team on Twitter, as well as their Facebook page.