VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Beginner Friendly Black Tusk Scramble · Sat. Jul. 13th - Sun. Jul. 14th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- External Link: For extra information not hosted on the VOC site.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Jul. 13th, 7:30 am
End: Sunday, Jul. 14th, 8:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Monday, Jul. 8th, 6:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Kitsilano Beach MAP
This will be a Beginner Friendly overnight trip up Black Tusk. We'll get up early on Saturday, head up to Taylor Meadows, set up camp, then make a game plan. Depending on snow/weather, we'll either head the same day up to Black Tusk, or we'll go for an alpine start on Sunday.
The trip up to Black Tusk is a fairly straight forward hike, until you reach Black Tusk itself. There's about 100m of low exposure Class 3 scrambling at that point. We'll be going for the regularly visited summit, not the true summit. People are welcome to join for the hike to the base of the Tusk in case they don't want to do the scramble itself. Helmets are mandatory for anyone who wants to do the scramble, and ice axes are recommended.
I'll be limiting the group size to eight people plus anyone helping out with organization. We'll do a dessert potluck too, because more dessert is a good thing. We'll have a pre-meeting at Kits beach on Monday, July 8th, which should allow for anyone who needs gear to go get it on Wednesday. Feel free to ask me if you have any questions.