VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Beginner Friendly Skiing trip to Phelix hut · Sat. Mar. 22nd - Sun. Mar. 23rd
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Mar. 22nd, 6:00 am
End: Sunday, Mar. 23rd, 10:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Thursday, Mar. 20th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: clubroom
Let's try this "winter" thing once more, shall we?
I want to go skiing somewhere nice and take a few keen people with me. Ideas for locations currently are Brew hut or Phelix hut. Both have reasonable approaches and are great huts. I'll decide on a location a bit further in when weather and avi forecasts are a bit clearer.
The plan is to leave early on Saturday, ski in, ski around, have fun at the hut, then on Sunday we ski some more and ski out.
What you need to know:
- Important gear found here. Let me know if you have questions. Don't decide on your own that you don't need no fancy headlight.
- Avalanche Skills Training (AST1) highly recommended. It will ultimately depend on the makeup of the group if we can take a few without formal avalanche training.
- With or without AST, you have to bring avalanche safety gear. Rent it from the club
- Skis, spliboards and snowshoes all welcome. You can rent Telemark skis from the club for free, or AT Skis from MEC for a fee. Note that downhill skis will not work.
Please come to the pre-trip meeting Wednesday at 7pm Thursday at 6 in the clubroom. In the meantime, sign up as interested and in the signup let me know what your skill level is so that I get a rough idea of the group's overall level. That'll also determine how many people in total we can take. But don't be afraid: This trip is explicitly beginner friendly
Update: The weather looks much nicer at Phelix, so I suggest we go there. Also, Brew seems to be completely full anyway :)