VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Beginner Friendly Trip to Brew Hut · Sat. May. 24th - Sun. May. 25th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, May. 24th, 5:00 am
End: Sunday, May. 25th, 3:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, May. 21st, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Outside the club room
It's been too long since I've been on a hike, so I decided to organize one!
For this trip we'll head up to Brew Hut and spend a night. If the weather's clear, we'll get amazing views of the Garabaldi range, if it's not, we'll enjoy the woodstove and good company! This trip is beginner friendly, and if you're looking for a first overnight trip, this would be a good place to start. As an added incentive, we can have a dessert potluck at the hut!
If you'd like to know more about Brew Hut the wiki page is linked above. It's by far the easiest approach of any of the VOC huts, and it has a nice woodstove to keep us all warm. We'll drive as far as we can up the logging roads, then use the winter trailhead. From the trailhead it's ~5k (with ~600 m of elevation gain) to the hut. How close we can get to the trailhead depends on where the snowpack starts. If we have to start lower, we will just hike up the logging road.
I'm not a particularly fast hiker (I might even be considered a slow hiker...), especially on snow! There is room for people who hike at any output level. We won't leave you behind. We may need snowshoes, but that will be covered at the pretrip meeting. A few details on recommended gear can be found on the VOC Wiki:
Most of the more experienced people have stoves, etc, they can share, so you, personally, don't need to carry everything on the list. Also, some of the gear can be borrowed from the club.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me or post on the message board.