VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
[workhike] Harrison Hut Renovation · Sat. Aug. 23rd - Mon. Sep. 1st
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Aug. 23rd, 8:00 am
End: Monday, Sep. 1st, 4:00 pm
VOC has several projects. One project this year, is building an outhouse at Harrison, and covering the Hut in corrugated steel. Material has been purchased, trucked to the helicopter fuel cache near the Meager bridge.
We will go up there last week of August to install it, probably drive up Friday 22 Aug. We will need 4-5 people who can afford to take a week off. I will be one of them. Cassandra (who's currently on Ellesmere Island) will be a second. My son Dave will be #3. Rueben, who helped build Brew, is #4. Mari, friend of Cassandra, not yet a Member, and currently in Borneo, is #5.
If we have more than five people, that will make the work easier, and more fun. A second carload would not be constrained to come and go with my car. Planning will be discussed on our web page. If you are thinking of this, you could email me, or post on the signup page. If "Interested" I'll assume you might be good for part of the week; if "Committed", you might be good for the whole week. I don't know how much time we need to do a high-quality job, but I guess five days should do it. More than that, we'll run out of food unless we can eat berries and maybe small wild animals.
In addition to the hut work, the legendary Jeff Mottershed has been building a bridge out of steel. The bridge is to be flown in, perhaps at the same time the other stuff gets flown in. He will also be flying in, with his son Devlin who is about 5 years old and counts as -0.5 workers. Caitlin may grab a ride with him, and the helicopter.