VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Spearhead traverse - intermediate friendly · Sat. Mar. 7th - Sun. Mar. 8th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going" (members can also sign themselves up as "actually going" on this trip, using the signup page).
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Mar. 7th, 7:00 am
End: Sunday, Mar. 8th, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Mar. 4th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom
The weather looks stellar and the snow is good up high. After some pre-email faff with interested members, we'll do the Spearhead traverse this coming weekend. If you have not been part of the email-faff, but are interested in this trip and feel confident, please sign yourself up as interested and email me.
The plan as of now:
Grab fresh-tracks breakfast (optional) and meet everyone at Glacier Creek Lodge at Blackcomb. We'll go over the route etc in the lodge while we wait for glacier chair to open.
The large group will be split into independent sub-groups of 4-6 formed by two rope-teams of 3 or one of 4. Each sub-group decides their own route and objectives. Everyone has to be comfortable with glacier-travel, rope management and has participated in AST-1 or similar experience. I will suggest group compositions on Wednesday, but everyone in the respective groups have to be comfortable with anyone in their group!
Pre-trip meeting is Wednesday at 6pm at the clubroom. We'll organize the sub-groups and rope-teams. This will be followed by crevasse-rescue practice in the rope-teams.