VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Phelix + Door = Awesome (beginner friendly) Workhike · Fri. Aug. 7th - Sun. Aug. 9th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Friday, Aug. 7th, 6:00 pm
End: Sunday, Aug. 9th, 8:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Aug. 5th, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: VOC BBQ (http://www.ubc-voc.com/tripagenda/details.php?tripid=955) MAP
Phelix needs a new door!
That means not only do we get to hike up to the amazingly beautiful Phelix Hut in the Tolkien Range, we also get to carry a steel door all the way up to the hut! Roland (and probably some others) will head up Friday night. We'll work out when everyone is leaving at the pretrip.
The door has been ordered (thanks Roland) and should arrive before the trip. Hopefully it arrives early enough so we can fiddle with building a door frame that fits into the hut. If not, we'll worry about carrying the door up and fitting it in when we are up there.
The plan is to pack very, very light and litter carry the (steel) door up to the hut.
The main objective is to get the door up to the hut. Then hopefully to install it and if we have extra time (we probably wont), scramble up some of the surrounding peaks.
There is almost certainly be a second trip the weekend after this to finish installing the door.
I would love help from experienced folks, especially those eager to carry a door. Beginners are welcome too! It'll be a slow day and it's only 10km to the hut. Expect to be put to work though!
Let me know if you have any questions or concerns!