Members can insert new events into the calendar
and signup for trips, but please read the instructions
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
AST 2 - Avalanche Safety Training for Complex and Challenging Terrain · Sat. Mar. 17th - Sun. Mar. 25th
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- This trip does not use the signup tool.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Kelsey Miller
Start: Saturday, Mar. 17th
End: Sunday, Mar. 25thDescription:
Who's excited for winter!? The VOC and Canada West Mountain School are offering another round of discounted AST courses for VOC members (the discount comes to just over 25%).
AST 2 - $450.00
The foundation of avalanche safety is terrain, and our unique format gets you exploring terrain in 4 alpine locations including the Duffey Lake region, Whistler, Blackcomb and Seymour. Taught by Professional Members of the Canadian Avalanche Association and industry experts, our AST-2 is designed for skiers and boarders seeking adventures that require travel in Challenging or Complex Terrain.
All the information you need, as well as the sign up link can be found here: https://themountainschool.com/program/private-ast-2-voc/
Please read the description on the website thoroughly. Here is a quick summary and some of the main points to consider.
- You must be an intermediate level skier or snowboarder. This includes having experience on whatever touring setup you will be using (eg. tele, AT...).
- You must have completed AST1 (preferably the previous year)
- This AST-2 course is conducted over 2 weekends: March 17-18and March 24-25, 2018
- Practical sessions on weekend at 4 different locations: Duffey Lake region, Whistler, Blackcomb and Seymour.
- A theory session will be held the first morning in North Vancouver and afternoon field session conducted on Mt Seymour.
- Days on Whistler will require lift pass ($58x2). This will be waived if you have a season pass.
- If snow conditions are no good, one more of the days will be held at Whistler, and you will be required to buy another day pass ($58). It is not likely that this will happen, however there is a chance.
- We need minimum 6, maximum 8, sign-ups to run this course. It will be cancelled if we do not reach the min.
Again, please read the description on the website in full, and sign up through the Canada West Mountain School website. Please direct any questions you have to the message board thread, or you can email me personally.
Posted: 2017-11-01 11:55:22
Last modified: 2017-11-01 12:03:01