VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Harrison Hut Route Building Aug Long weekend · Sat. Aug. 3rd - Mon. Aug. 5th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Aug. 3rd
End: Monday, Aug. 5th
Pre-trip meeting: Thursday, Aug. 1st, 7:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: VOC Clubroom
Since August 2010, when half of Mt. Meager collapsed in one of the largest worldwide landslides since 1945, the VOC's Harrison Hut has been an elusive place as kilometers of the road and 2 bridges needed to get there were destroyed. Since then Ben and I have been directing VOC labour on a new route on the other (geologically stable) side of the valley. After a series of route-finding trips, rock moving trips, and finally route-clearing trips the first half of the route was more-or-less completed last year.
We've just received word that our funding to continue has come through from MEC! This means that we're really going to push it all the way to the hut this year, and try and get First Nations approval to upgrade the entire thing to a trail (likely upgrading to a full-on trail won't happen until next summer). We want to finish flagging all the way to the hut and do some minor brushing of the route. We will also hang markers along the for sure sections.
We will be doing some chainsaw work so someone who feels competent doing that would be great.
If available, it would also be great to have some additional people to do work on the first leg of the trail. Last year we didn't quite get finished hanging markers.
MEC will pay for gas, but passengers will be expected to make a small contribution towards wear-and-tear on the vehicles.