VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Caving the Memekay System in Vancouver Island · Sat. Nov. 9th - Mon. Nov. 11th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Nov. 9th, 7:00 am
End: Monday, Nov. 11th, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Monday, Nov. 4th, 6:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Outside the clubroom
Last month some of us visited the Memekay system in the north of Vancouver Island. This time we want to take some VOCers there. The plan is to leave on Sat morning and come back Monday evening. The place is located ~3h north of Nanaimo, including ~28 Km of logging road.
We will probably visit 3 caves. Some of them are horizontal, which means no vertical gear is required for moving in a rope. Another one has 2 short vertical sections (less than 10 m high). In order to access this ones you should have been present in at least the first session of the Workshop in Caving techniques I did in August-Sept or being proficient in ascent / descent in static ropes using the “frog” technique.
I am thinking on taking 10 new people + 4 people that have been there before. Priority will be given to people that participated in the workshop. If there are spots left, people without vertical experience are welcome to join only to the horizontal caves.
What do I need to bring?
Besides you normal camping gear, for the caving part you will need:
- SYNTHETHIC base layer. NO COTTON
- Warm mid layer (eg fleece)
- Waterproof layer (eg hardshell or not breathable one) Optional
- Tough exterior layer. It will get dragged in the floor so bring something you don't mind getting ripped. Cover-alls are best.
- Warm socks. They will get soaked. Neoprene or wool are best
- Boots. Gumboots are best. Hiking boots are OK, they just get worn out faster.
- 2 lamps that are mountable in your helmet
- Personal anchor (dynamic rope preferred)*
- Accessory webbing (3 m) for chest harness*
- Some sort of webbing (3 m) for footloops.*
- Load bearing webbing (~ 1 m) to connect the harness to the hand ascender. (a 120 cm sling works)
- 3 locking biners*
- If you have 2 non-locking biners, bring them*
- If you have maillions, bring them*
- Small pack to bring stuff into the cave (this pack will get dragged so make sure it's not very nice)
Since we're not all going to be in the vertical cave at the same time, items marked with a * can be potentially shared among the group. That said, try to get as much as you can from the list.