VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Beginner friendly trip to Mt Bishop and Elsay Lake · Sat. Aug. 16th - Sun. Aug. 17th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Aug. 16th, 7:00 am
End: Sunday, Aug. 17th, 8:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Thursday, Aug. 14th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Outside Clubroom
Mt Bishop is the northernmost peak in Mt Seymour Provincial Park, and Mt Elsay is a mountain lake just south of Bishop. I've been meaning to get to both since I moved here and this year's the year! This will require some scrambling, but I've been told it's quite easy.
The details haven't been completely nailed down yet, but the general idea is to approach Bishop via Vicar Lakes, then drop to Elsay Lake for a swim and head out via Wes's staircase. Overnight camping would be at Vicar Lakes. Or do the above trip in reverse and sleep at Elsay Lake - we can discuss direction at the pretrip.
Helmets are mandatory, since we'll be scrambling. I put the trip in August so that most of the snow is gone, so we hopefully won't require ice axes. I'll be doing some scouting a couple of weeks before and will update info. Seymour PP is under a perpetual fireban so no s'mores unfortunately but alcohol and sweets or desserts to share around are encouraged!
Trip is set at a max of 10 as this is my first time leading. With the help of experienced members I might increase this. This is almost reachable by transit, but getting up the mountain might require a car acting as a shuttle.
Bishop from Vicar:
Elsay lake with Mt Elsay in the background:
Elsay lake and Bishop, taken from Elsay peak: