VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
VOC slideshow: Trails and Tribulations - 4 years of restoring access to the VOC Harrison Hut · Wednesday, October 8th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- This trip does not use the signup tool.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Wednesday, Oct. 8th, 7:00 pm
Since August 2010, when half of Mt. Meager collapsed in one of the largest worldwide landslides since 1945, the VOC's Harrison Hut has been an elusive place as kilometers of the road and 2 bridges needed to get there were destroyed. Since then Christian Veenstra, Ben SP, Jeff Mottershead and many more VOC volunteers have been working on a new 12 km route on the other (geologically stable) side of the valley - the VOC's most ambitious trail project to date. After 4 years of of route-finding trips, rock moving trips, route-clearing trips, trail building trips, and bridge bulding activities the route is more of less complete this year. Finally, this summer a crew of VOC led by Roland Burton renovated the hut and constructed a new outhouse.
Christian Veenstra, Ben SP, Jeff Mottershead and possibly some more people will show pictures and tell some stories about their work.
This project has been funded through a series of access grants from the Mountain Equipment Cooperative.
Where: BUCH A202
Photo credit: Roland Burton (first two), Rueben Schulz (last two)