VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
A Weekend in the Joffre Range · Sat. Jul. 18th - Sun. Jul. 19th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Jul. 18th
End: Sunday, Jul. 19th
Pre-trip meeting: Thursday, Jul. 16th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Club Room
***I would also be in favour of leaving Friday instead of Saturday if others share this feeling.
The area surrounding Keith's hut is a beautiful spot to spend a weekend. There are also many mountaineering and scrambling objectives located a short distance from the hut.
Some mountains include Matier, Joffre, Vantage, and Hartzell, to name a few. The VOC wiki has some information on these mountains and their various routes, as well as the book Alpine Select. I, personally, would like to attempt the easier routes on Matier and Joffre (but still should not be taken lightly!). Glacier training and knowing how to utilize the neccessary skills is mandatory for any routes involving glacier travel. You should be confident with glacier travel, self arrests, and crevasse rescue.
Accommodation can either be at Keith's Hut, camping around the hut, or camping at Motel 66 (about an hour and a half from the hut at 6600ft),
The number of people who go on this trip will depend on how many experienced people can lend a helping hand.
Shoot me an email if you have any questions!