Archive:Indian Arm Kayak 2010
October 16rd - 17th, 2010
This trip is beginner friendly, with the usual connotations. There will be quite a bit of paddling involved: good strength and/or fitness is recommended; paddling experience is a real asset. Indian Arm usually has very calm waters, but we will be paddling close to shore for the most part in case it gets rough. The views are spectacular, Deep Cove has a place where they sell amazing honey-dipped donuts, and kayaking is one of those things where light rain just cools you off.
Some camping experience is also good. We will be paddling double kayaks (more space - more stable - cheaper to rent). This means you can bring more than you would on a backpacking trip.
We will be packing everything into kayaks. The kayaks do stay mostly dry, but your stuff may get damp... it is best to pack everything into either dry bags or just into thick garbage bags.
- SATURDAY October 16: meet at 9am at Deep Cove, eat donuts, drink coffee, and be ready by the door of Deep Cove kayaks at 9:30, preferably with filled up forms to minimize faff. Load kayaks and paddle north on Indian Arm to the twin islands where we could make a brief stop, and then continue straight either to the Granite Falls campground; set up camp; dinner, wine & songbook. If weather is foul, we can always try to find the abandoned cabin where we camped in the '08 version of this trip.
- SUNDAY October 17: early breakfast; load kayaks; paddle south (lunch somewhere); return to Deep Cove circa the afternoon.
We should still have time on Saturday to explore the North end of Indian Arm by kayak: if we make good time Sunday we can also explore some islands and bays in the South part of the arm. There are also a few waterfalls along the way, and a spooky abandoned power station.
How much does it cost?
We will be renting kayaks from Deep Cove Canoe and Kayak, which should come to about $80(**) per person for 48 hours of kayak rental (includes kayak, paddle, PFD, sprayskirt, mandatory safety equipment).
(**) If you have your own kayak this obviously doesn't apply to you. If you have a way to transport a kayak, we could also rent them from MEC (this would be much cheaper). Payment for kayaks rented from Deep Cove will be IN ADVANCE, at the pretrip meeting.
Food groups will split the cost of food: transportation is FREE if you have a U-Pass! (it's a whopping $6.50 in bus fare if you don't)
What to bring
Footwear that you’re okay getting a little wet (sandals or crocs are good)
Warm jacket (fleece or down)
Long underwear (top and bottom)
Weatherproof jacket (goretex)
Weatherproof pants (goretex) (you should be fine without these but your bum will get wet)
*you’ll need the clothes that you’re wearing and at least one other set of warm, dry clothes
Water bottles (there is no potable water after we leave Deep Cove, so you’ll need enough water for the two days – or bring a water filter)
Headlamp and batteries
Lighter and/or waterproof matches
First aid kit
Chart & compass
Lunch and snacks x2
Cooking ‘n Eating
Bowl and spoon
Stove with fuel (if using white gas, for each person bring 75 mL) (food groups will be organized, we share)
Pot(s) and pot gripper
Dessert potluck contribution (Saturday night)
Alcoholic potluck contribution
Tarp (to put up as shelter if it rains) (optional)
Small instruments (optional)
A pre-trip meeting to cover some safety issues; also, planning food and tent groups. You should also pay today or have paid already
Wednesday, October 13 2010 at 6:00PM - outside the Norm theater in the sub.
|This is the sign up and organization page for an old trip. It already happened on 16-10-2010. Please do not sign up for it.|
Please add a number representing your skill in a kayak:
- 1 if you've never been on one.
- 2 if you have, you're happy in one, but you've never taken formal instruction.
- 3 if you have some sort of certified kayak skills.
- 4 if you've kayaked a major river (full length) or circumnavigated a continent.
Also indicate if you want to rent from Deep Cove (ie, you dont have your own kayak or a way to get one from MEC)
- Caitlin Schneider (2/3) (Deep Cove)
- Gili Rosenberg (2, can do wet exist + solo capsize recover)
- Maya Goldstein (2)
- Simon B (2,wherever)
- Alex Thompson (3, instructor cert) (Deep Cove)
- Chris Yuen (1- experienced dragonboater if that's relevant) (Deep Cove)
- Alexandra Annejohn (2) (Deep Cove)
- Steven Geddes (2) (Deep Cove)
- Jasmin Lighbody (2) (Deep Cove)
- Filip Karlsson (2) - (Deep Cove)
- Eva Westin (2) (Deep Cove)
- Fred Ngo (1 -- Never been in a Kayak, but am an experienced canoeist.) (Deep Cove)
- Mel Tan (2 - more experience in canoe, Deep Cove)
- Philippe Le Billon (2/3 - wet exit, assisted recovery and eskimo roll - has own kayak and marine VHF)
- Jaime Wu (2, deep cove)
- Charlotte Heinzemann (2, deep cove, spent a lot of time practicing wet water recoveries ... but on my own not in a course)
- Paisley Walsh (2/4??) deep cove
For safety reasons, numbers are tentatively limited to 20 people, although depending on the number of people with capsize recovery training (experience with solo and assisted rescues in sea kayaks), this number may vary (minimum three).
- Lani Isaacs (2, deep cove - will sign up for membership asap)
- Claire BOUFFARD. (2) deep cove
- Sarah Elbert
- Elisa Ocker (2, Deep Cove)
- Shuval Haramati (shuvi) (2-3 i guss depends on kind of kayaks, all over israel rivers, and body raffting expirience ;-P have a car with a rack so probably can pit something on it ...)
- Julia Gustavsen (3, Deep Cove)
- Steve? (1/2) Would get Kayak from MEC
Final Participant List
(9 double kayaks + Philippe's single)
- Caitlin Schneider
- Gili Rosenberg
- Maya Goldstein
- Simon Bretschneider
- Melissa Tan
- Fred Ngo
- Eva Westin
- Shuval Haramati
- Alexandra Anne John
- Jasmin Lightbody (need signature)
- Steven Geddes
- Chris Yuen
- Alex Thompson
- Paisley Walsh
- Charlotte Heinzemann
- Greta (no waiver)
- Dana Hoffman (not paid)
- Philippe Le Billon (has own kayak)
Alex (2p) + Caitlin
Steven (2p) + Jasmin
Shuval (2p) + Simon
Melissa (3p) + Eva + Phillip
Chris (4p) + Fred + Alex A
Gili (2p) + Maya
Charlotte (3p) + Paisley + Greta
- Alex A
- Simon (Broadway and Granville)
- Eva (Fairview)
- Phillip (Fairview)
- Alexanda (Vanier)
leaving UBC at 7:50
take 17 to pender
take 210 to Phibbs
take C15 to deep cove
arriving at 9:10