Exec reports - Journal Editor
The Journal Editor:
- Publishes the annual Varsity Outdoor Club Journal (VOCJ)
- Coerces members into submitting articles, photos, etc. for the Journal.
- Works to a deadline. The journal must be ready for the banquet.
- Is solely responsible for the quality of the finished product.
- Works to a budget of sorts. Collects advertisements to defray the cost of the Journal.
- A good position for a responsible person with computer skills, and the ability to deal with a heavy workload for a short time in the Spring.
The Journal Editor or Archivist is responsible for sending the journal to a number of places each year. Details are available on the VOCJ exchange page.
Current Exec Report
I, Caitlin Schneider, am the current Journal Editor. for 2016-2017
The current journal is about to go to print. Its currently 260 pages.
I was able to get a copy of InDesign and used it to layout the journal. Kasia has complied a really cool document to get one started. I'll send it along to who ever is next in this job.
The key is to get started early, read all the trip reports and message board threads and ask the author to submit something for the journal. They rarely do this right away, but at least it keeps them thinking and with enough nagging they usually come through.
The adverting could be expanded. I had a bit of trouble getting people to come through. I did end up trading ad space for new Clark Geomatics maps, so this is an option as well.
I went back to printing with Hemlock this year. Mark was very helpful this year.
The timing of the journal next year is going to change if the journal needs to be out by the AGM. AGM will be scheduled for early march, which means you need to have most of the articles in by Christmas, in order to finish the layout by the beginning of Feb. It will take at least 3 weeks to get from the final layout to the final printed book. This will be make it hard to get the articles in since people are used to submitting in January.
I applied to the Sustainability center for some extra funding.
2009 - 2010
Journal Editor: ???'
Past Exec Reports
Exec report - Journal Editor 2012 - 2013
Exec report - Journal Editor 2010 - 2011
Exec report - Journal Editor 2009 - 2010
Exec report - Journal Editor 2008 - 2009
Exec report - Journal Editor 2007 - 2008
Exec report - Journal Editor 2006 - 2007