Archive:Skaha Halloween 2009
|This is the sign up and organization page for an old trip. It already happened. Please do not sign up for it.|
Skaha is a rock climbing area located near Penticton, BC, in the Okanagan Valley. It is generally pretty dry, making it a common destination for times of the year when Squamish is a little soggy. The VOC usually runs a trip there around Halloween. Skaha has climbs at all levels, in both the traditional and sport styles. There is also top-roping possibilities for beginners who know how to set up top-rope anchors. Absolute beginners should have attended longhike before, as this trip is not instructional (but will most probably have tons of nice people). There needs to be at least one person that can set-up a top rope anchor per group.
October 30th - November 1th, 2009
- Note: likely with some people coming a day early and some leaving a day late.
Wednesday October 28st 6:00pm, clubroom
Come to get/offer a ride and organize tent/stove sharing. This meeting is optional, if you already have everything set up, you don't have to come.
We haven't decided yet where to stay, although to give you an idea, last year we stayed at Lost Moose. There was no water (frozen pipes), so we all have to bring our own. It was be CAD$100 per night divided by the number of people who ended up going (it somehow included beer, but that was probably a glitch in the matrix, or my bad memory).
We typically celebrate Halloween in style and have a potluck dinner on Saturday night. Otherwise take care of your own food or organize something within your car group. Penticton has lots of grocery stores so don't worry if you forget something.
What to bring
As with most trips you should have an adequate sleeping bag (it's probably going to be below zero), tent, means to cook (i.e. stove or someone to share with), food, and appropriate clothing (it's Halloween, so be creative). Tents and food groups should be organized by car groups, so we'll probably sort it out on the pre-trip meeting. A guidebook would be very useful, so try and scrounge one before coming (there's some stuff available online too, specially new routes). If not, a photographic memory will suffice. Also don't forget your Halloween costume for our potluck Halloween party! (Note: "Rock Climber" is not a very original costume)
If you have them, bring tire chains for your vehicle. Last year the highway was a skating rink.
Trip Sign Up
Please write next to your name the kind of climbing you would like to do: TR=top-rope, Sport, or Trad. This might help to separate into groups.
- Ignacio (sport + rope/gear)
- Jennifer Senez - minimal experience -attending longhike
- Joti Sara - minimal experience -attending longhike
- Jon Rothwell - TR, but would like to attempt sport or trad. No gear.
- Jonathan Desautels - Willing for everything, small experience lead climb and anchors, attending longhike, about 5.9
- Nick Chng - Probably going to ride my bike, but I've never missed Skahaha and I can drive.
- Chantelle Chan - TR/Sport, have rope & gear
- Merick Mortiz (Sport)
- Matt Osler - TR, easy sport have rope and some gear.
- justin hall-trad/sport- Rope/draws/rack
- Adrienne Johnson - TR and easy sport leads (have rope/anchor materials/quick draws)
- Jennie French - sport and/or toprope (have rope, draws, anchor gear)
- Noriko Okamoto (TR/easy sport - no gear yet)
- Greta R - sport or trad
- Mathieu LeBlanc - Sport/trad - Rope/draws/rack
- Alice Chan
- Kai Chaplin - sport + rope/sport rack
- Chloe Sharpe - top rop (up to 11a), sport (up to 5.9)
- Eden Imbeau - top rope
- Lucy Squibb- top rope, no rope yet but scored a belay device at Longhike, thanks Seth!
- Maddie Crowell
- Ran Z (Sport/Trad)
- Rasmus Thisner TR Sport
- Felix Floter TR, beginner, may have car
- Andy Yeh, indoor beginner, have shoes, harness, like to try outdoor climbing (indoor 5.9/5.10)
- Scott Thullen TR, beginner, has own stuff, would like to try sport
- Emily Browning TR, has own stuff, would like to try sport
- Alexandros Dimopoulos TR
- Daniel Jakob, beginner, need harness, shoes and helmet. Will have indoor experience soon
- Cameron Hookey- TR Beg.
- Anette Heggoy - TR/Sport
- Katinka Kilian - TR, beginner
- Christina Mai - minimal experience, attending longhike
- Ian Saari - TR/Sport
- Olek Splawinski - TR, With Ian ↑
- Veronika Schmitt- TR/sport
- Erica Mitchell - TR, beginner
- Anna Sobieniak - TR, beginner, attended longhike
- Cameron Bathgate-TR/sport rope basic gear
- Mike Blicker - trad/sport. rack/rope/etc
- Ayoe Buhl - TR, beginner, attended Longhike
- Jacqui Monie
- Kjell Erik Reinhardtsen - Sport/Trad
- Andrew Silversides - Sport/Seconding Trad
- Caleb ng - Sport/Trad Rack/Rope/Etc
- Tyler Hawkins- TR
- Robin Avery - Trad Rack / 2x ropes
- Carolyn Grise- TR, attended Longhike
- Mark Chui - sport lead; personal gear, ~14 draws, anchor gear, 70m rope, 60m rope
- Matthew Skolnik- top rope
- Brent Lin - TR minimal experience, no gear of any sort XD, maybe car
- Toby Sirzyk - have top roped before, would like to try sport and/or trad
- Simeon Burgenmeister - TR (attended longhike)
- Adam Palmblad - whatever
If you have space in your car, please post the spots. Passengers pay for gas. If you have a rope and/or rack, please indicate so that we can try and even out people with gear into cars with less gear.
Note: Passengers, contact your drivers a few days in advance to determine meeting locations/times. Contact info can be found on Member List. The onus is not on drivers to track down all their passengers.
- Felix Flöter (4 spots) [tent..old,slow car] Friday Afternoon Dunbar&16th - Leaving Sunday afternoon
- Chantelle Chan
- Noriko Okamoto
- Carolyn Grise
- Erica Mitchell
- Matt O (4 spots) [Sport] Leaving 1 pm from New Westminster Skytrain Station - Leaving Skaha 3pm Sunday
- Merick M
- Adrienne Johnson (rope/a few draws....and....CAR SNACKS...yum)
- Alexandros Dimopoulos
- Maddie Crowell (4 spots) Leaving late Friday-Returning from Skaha Early Afternoon Sunday
- Tyler Hawkins
- Lucy Squibbs
- Ian Saari
- Olek Splawinski
- Nick C (4 spots, Multiactivity) Leaving after work from Cambie&Broadway - Leaving Skaha 3pm Sunday
- Ran Z
- Ayoe Buhl
- Jennie French (Rope, 12 draws, anchor set up -for sport)
- Adam P 4 spots, after work Friday, leaving sunday afternoon. 10th and Main, or somewhere close it. email at apalmblad at gmail if you want the last spot.
- Kjell E R
- Jonathan D
- Brent (4 spots 8pm Friday UBC back Sunday night) I've got no gear not even sleeping bag/pad and minimal TR experience; people with stove tent ropes other gear and willingness to help a newbie get priority =D Please post below
For those who need a ride.
- Name (Gear)
- Jennifer/Joti - Located cambie & 16th - have tent
- Jon Rothwell (Don't have a tent or stove and no rope.)
- Noriko (stove and wine)
- Mathieu LeBlanc (tent/stove/rope/rack)
- Kai Chaplin - on campus
- Jessica Dorzinsky - has a bulky tent + stove
- Anette Heggoy - point grey, no tent
- Katinka Kilian - campus. no tent, no stove
- Christina Mai - no tent, no stove
- Erica Mitchell, Macdonald and Broadway, no tent but I can bring wine!
- Jonathan Desautels - stove and alcool
- Caleb Ng - tent/stove
- Robin Avery - Tents / hilariousity / Main and Broadway
- Mark Chui - can meet anywhere; have 2 ropes along with personal gear; will not fart in car
- Toby Sirzyk- campus- no tent, no stove, lotsa love
- Simeon Burgenmeister- can meet anywhere - wine/beer