VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
VOC Environmental Committee GAS Meeting · Wednesday, February 10th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going" (members can also sign themselves up as "actually going" on this trip, using the signup page).
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Wednesday, Feb. 10th, 7:30 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: SCRF 1021 MAP
Hey VOC members!
Unfortunately, the proposed Garibaldi at Squamish (GAS) ski resort has passed the environmental assessment process. The VOC Environmental Comittee was formed to combat the approval of GAS largely because of:
- loss of backcountry terrain,
- close proximity to Garibaldi Park,
- significant destruction of old-growth and rare ecosystems, and
- poor snow conditions and ski terrain in the proposed area.
The EA does not grant full approval of GAS, as the project will now be reviewed by the Mountain Resorts Branch of the ministry (MFLNRO) and will require approval before construction can proceed.
The project is still in its preliminary stages, and with your help we can stop its development. If you have any ideas on how the club can approach this issue, or are just generally interested, we encourage you to attend this meeting!