VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Intermediate-friendly ski trip with a focus on trip organizing, looking out for people, leaving no one behind etc etc. · Sunday, March 6th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Sunday, Mar. 6th, 5:00 am
End: Sunday, Mar. 6th, 8:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Mar. 2nd, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: SCRF (Scarfe) 209 MAP
Mar 2 (Wed), 2016, 6.00-7.30pm, venue TBD. A whole bunch of topics will be discussed. See: http://www.ubc-voc.com/tripagenda/details.php?tripid=1172
1) The pre-trip discussion/meeting is mandatory, unless I've met you before and know your experience level.
2) If there is sufficient interest in organizing a beginner-friendly ski trip after this (putting your learning to use right away), I'll be happy to help out.
5th March, or 6th March, or 5th-6th March (dependent on weather and participants)
Edit: Most likely a day-trip. We start early and maximize our day out by not carrying heavy overnight packs. By around Wed, we'll have a better idea of Saturday's weather, if it's promising, Saturday it is. If for some reason conditions are bad Saturday, we can still potentially head out on Sunday.
Unknown at the moment (dependent on weather/avi forecast)
Edit: I'm heavily leaning on a trip to the Duffey as I've been there for the past 2 weekends and so have a decent idea of the snowpack and 'current' conditions. Due to latest forecast, we'll probably head to the Coquihalla (possibly needle peak)
If you'll like to read up on some potential routes, I'm currently thinking of north facing slopes (may change dependent on weather), such as Vantage Ridge, Mt. Taylor or Tszil (none of which I've been to, so we all figure this out together). Chief Pascal is also an option.
- Not a beginner skier. You should be comfortable skiing at least blue runs in a resort.
- Best if you have skied in the backcountry before and know your gear. Avalanche skills training not particularly necessary unless there are too many participants without AST. (To lead a trip, you should be thinking about getting your AST though!)
- Keen to learn more about trip organization (at least how I organize trips?)
Max ~ 2-3 carloads, depends on # of experienced participants.
Note: Not everyone who signs up as committed/interested will go on the trip. I may have to turn participants away for various reasons, but I do this for safety reasons - what I feel I can handle within my personal comfort zone. Cheers.
If you will indicate your commitment level for the trip by Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning, that will help in my planning for the pre-trip logistics. At the moment, it looks like we may be short on cars...
p.s. we may or may not be skiing this and it may or may not be blue skies... but here's a teaser anyway ;)
This is an image of vantage ridge (cerise creek on the right), taken Feb 27. The face you're seeing on vantage is the south side runs. Should be decent skiing!