Members can insert new events into the calendar and signup for trips, but please read the instructions before posting.
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.

Ice climbing @ Mt. Baker · Saturday, November 12th

Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened

  • Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
  • This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
  • Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
  • Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
  • Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
  • Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
  • Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
  • Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
  • Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
  • Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Jonah Adelman.

Start: Saturday, Nov. 12th, 5:45 am
Pre-trip meeting location: Email or TBD but likely email


The Seracs at Mount Baker are a great place to get in some pre-season Ice climbing and have a fun day. The Weather is currently not looking wonderful, but some rain should be ok (Will have to keep an eye on it). 

Plan would be to leave from Vancouver at 5:45am (Carpool place can be discussed on personal basis), then have our second meet up place at the Tim Hortons (near Pet Smart Abbotsford) before the Sumas border crossing in to the United States at 7am.

After crossing the border, we would hike up Helitrope ridge to the glaciers (about 2 hours). Also we would need a day pass for US national parks (fairly cheap if I recall). We can stay out on the glacier till 4-5pm ice climbing on the seracs. 

Trip will be cancelled if there are weather forecasts for heavy rain or snow. Trip will also be cancelled if we can't get enough 16cm+ screws. We will also need people who are comfortable leading to setup top ropes. 

Requirements: Confidence with crampons/front pointing at a minimum. Strong belaying ability. As long as you have a crampon background it should be fine.

Gear Needed: helmet, harness, crampons (steel), 2 ice tools, bring screws if you can, anchor material, rope we will need two. Bring general climbing gear that we can use. V-thread material also if you have it. This can be discussed later if the trip is going to happen.

-Proper Documents to cross into the United States. Passport or enchanced drivers lisence. Insurance coverage for the day also if you want (I would say this is up to you).

Bring rain gear, a pair of glacier glasses or googles. As many pairs of gloves as you want, because they will be getting wet. 



Posted: 2016-11-07 13:37:22
Last modified: 2016-11-10 09:59:29