Members can insert new events into the calendar
and signup for trips, but please read the instructions
VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Annual Black Tusk Trail Run · Saturday, September 23rd
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Organized by: Michael Stone
Start: Saturday, Sep. 23rd, 8:00 am
Pre-trip meeting: Tuesday, Sep. 19th, 5:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: VOC Clubroom (or at the couches outside if room is locked)Description:
This is one of the most challenging events that the VOC organizes. You must be in a high state of physical fitness to attempt this run as it is not beginner-friendly. You must be able to run for 4+ hours through steep, somewhat technical terrain. We are not organizing any training for this run; that is your responsibility.
The outline of this trail run is provided below. A balanced number of teams will start from Cheakamus Lake and Rubble Creek. Teams will complete a one way run of 29.2 km with a gain/loss of 1973/-2250 m, trading car keys with an alternate team at the top. Teams ending at Cheakamus Lake will drive around to Rubble Creek to meet up with everyone else.
Last year we faced intense rain and cold conditions which made us rethink whether this should be a rain or shine event. If the weather is looking seriously cold/rainy we may postpone to a following weekend. However, 2015 was nice so we are keeping our hopes up.
This is called the 'Black Tusk Run', but we have bypassed the cinder cone turnoff as most people are fairly tired at the crossover.
This is a team based run. You will need to find a team of up to 5 people with a driver. If you cannot find a team before the pre-trip meeting there will be an opportunity for free agents to create a team.
There will be no support or aid stations along the way. This run will take you through some fairly challenging and remote areas so you will need to be prepared for emergency situations. I’d recommend packing as light as possible, but not skipping out on any essentials. We will go over a gear list at the meeting.
Pre-trip meeting time has not been decided yet, but it will likely be around 5pm on a weekday before the event at the clubroom. If you have any pressing questions that have not been answered above, please contact Hannah Jensen or Michael Stone.
Posted: 2017-04-23 13:57:05
Last modified: 2017-09-13 15:10:26