VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
ACC - Year End Party / Community Social · Tuesday, November 28th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where members of the exec and the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going" (members can also sign themselves up as "actually going" on this trip, using the signup page).
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Tuesday, Nov. 28th
SAVE THE DATE for the most fantastic mountain community event of the year!
Did you know that VOC members are given free memberships to the Vancouver section of the Alpine Club? The intent (once upon a time) was that you get to know who the ACC are and join them once you graduate, bt since some people never graduate, the model didn't work. Nowerdays we just periodically hang out together at events like these!
Many reasons to come to this, but chief among them are:
1) Hearthstone Brewery Beer
Free drinks! ACC Member and Hearthstone sales manager, Mike Alderking, has once again agreed to generously provide a couple of kegs! Truly an amazing guy and a spectacular brewery! We'll get some wine or whiskey going too.
2) Awards / Prizes / Gear
End of year socials are the perfect time say thank-you, and let people know that their contributions didn't go unnoticed! We have lots of door prizes this year and some good swag to give away!
Anna (the ACC's amazing secretary) will compile a list of people that deserve a special mention. If you can think of anyone in the ACC or VOC that have made a difference, drop their names to Anna before November and they will very likely get something for their efforts: <[email protected]
3) Ken Wylie
We probably don't need to tell you who Ken Wylie is (see: Buried) but what you don't know is that he's a long time friend of the Alpine Club, a super inspiring public speaker, and generally just an amazing human being. Ken lives in Mill Bay on Vancouver Island, but will be over to share some wisdom from his 30 years as a Mountain Guide and Educator. Having heard Ken talk previously, I'm happy to report that even without free beer, he would still be worth coming to hear.
4) Episode 109
As the VOC celebrates it's 100th, year, the ACC celebrates it's 109th! Hear what they've been up to this year, both the good and the bad. Tales of strife, accidents, intro course mishaps and various successes too; hi-points, low-points and the overall story of the ACC's 109th year on the West Coast, what a tale to tell!
Lastly, we'll have a bunch of food as usual! Last year (among other things) we had 7 kilos of buttery popcorn goodness supplied. It didn't quite get finished, but we were pretty damn close. We should definitely make an attempt at it again this year! The VOC and ACC executive mostly helped close out the night last year and carried away a lot of food and drink, (left over beer and cheese for weeks!).
Put it in your calendars!
Doors open 6:00pm at Van Dusen. Club member or not, everyone is welcome, and carpooling is definitely encouraged! (There might be bonus swag for anyone riding a bike).
Hope to see you all there!