VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
The VOC Centennial Skinny Dipping Challenge! · Mon. Jul. 17th - Sat. Sep. 2nd
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- This trip does not use the signup tool.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Monday, Jul. 17th
End: Saturday, Sep. 2nd
Rumour has it that during the process of researching the Centennial Book, a secret dossier was discovered which revealed that long before adopting its current slogan of “we climb pointy things,” the VOC operated under the motto “we swim in cold things.”*
In celebration of the time-honoured VOC tradition of alpine swimming, I bring you the VOC Centennial Skinny Dip Challenge. This challenge is different in that instead of competing against your fellow club members, we will all be working together. The goal is simple:
Can the VOC collectively skinny dip in 100 bodies of water before the centennial celebrations on September 2?
Help your fellow club members by documenting your swim breaks, strategically planning trips around notable bodies of water, and never missing the chance to dip in a tarn. Ideally I would have started this challenge earlier in the summer, but I was busy with this other small project I was helping with. So now we are playing catch up and the race is on to make it happen!
In addition to the collective satisfaction of accomplishing this goal, there will also be some individual prizes to keep things interesting:
- Most VOCers in the same body of water at the same time.
- Trip leader with the most dips led
- Person with the most dips completed
- Best dip (totally subjective, could be based on location, trip circumstances, or any other factor. Judged based on your description as submitted to the challenge)
Prizes will mainly be in the form of bragging rights, baked goods, and an article in the VOC Journal.
Enter your achievements in the official Skinny Dip Challenge Google Sheet.
This is so everyone can see what bodies of water have already been swum in, to allow for better planning. So if you swim in an unnamed body of water, give it a name that helps people understand where it is so they don’t make a repeat entry.
You can also keep us up to date in the message board thread which people are more likely to read!
Photo evidence is welcome but not required. Please keep any photos PG13 and you must OBTAIN CONSENT before photographing someone while skinny dipping!
- Submersion up to the shoulders is required. Note that this could be achieved by crouching or laying if the water is shallow.
- Personally, I don’t care much if people complete this challenge fully in their birthday suit or not, but it is called the skinny dip challenge…
- The Pacific Ocean only counts once. I propose we tackle that one in a mass dip at Wreck Beach on the Centennial weekend.
- Hot Springs count. Multiple natural pools in the same springs can be counted separately, but man-made pools and tubs only count once.
- Multiple tarns in the same general vicinity count. Give them each a name in the spreadsheet.
- Try to update the spreadsheet and message board quickly after you return from your dip. Since we are trying to get to 100 different bodies of water, we need to know if you already swam in Brew Lake so that we don’t count it a second time.
- As stated above, photo evidence is encouraged but not required. YOU MUST OBTAIN CONSENT FROM ANYONE YOU INTEND TO PHOTOGRAPH WHILE SKINNY DIPPING – BEFORE YOU TAKE THE PICTURE. Please don’t send me any pictures that would earn higher than a PG13 rating. Submit photos to my email address as listed in the member list.
*Not actually true. I just started this rumour while writing this description.