VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Introduction to skiing! · Sat. Nov. 25th - Sun. Nov. 26th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Nov. 25th, 7:00 am
End: Sunday, Nov. 26th, 9:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Tuesday, Nov. 21st, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: MacMillian Building room 160
Are you interested in learning how to ski this winter?
This is a non-threatening weekend meant to introduce you to skiing technique!
On Saturday, we will head for in-bounds skiing at Cypress Ski Resort, in North Vancouver. Lift tickets will need to be purchased. On Saturday we will learn how to ski working on our ''down-hill'' technique.
On Sunday, we will learn how to ski ''up-hill'' with a beginner-friendly introductory backcountry ski tour at one of the local destinations (North Shore Mountains or Red Heather). Then we will use our skills learned on the Saturday to get ourselves safely back down to the cars.
You will need skis with touring capabilities, e.g. telemark skis and climbing skins, or alpine-touring skis and climbing skins, or a splitboard+skins. For Sunday, avalanche safety gear (beacon+shovel+probe) will also be required. A full gear list is available for ski touring (Sunday) on the VOC wiki, here.
- The group size will be max 10, but that depends on if anyone can help me instruct. I will keep a ratio of 1 ''experienced'' skiier to 3 participants, so if you are willing to give me a hand, get in touch.
- This trip is dependent on reasonable weather conditions and manageable avalanche hazards for the Sunday. We can adjust the destination depending on what Mother Nature Delivers.
- More details to come over the coming weeks.