VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Elfin Lakes Winter Camping and Snowshoe · Sat. Mar. 10th - Sun. Mar. 11th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
Warning, this trip has been cancelled
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Wiki Page.
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Mar. 10th, 7:00 am
End: Sunday, Mar. 11th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Mar. 7th, 5:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Outside Clubroom
CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF DRIVERS
Hi guys! I wanted to do some snowshoeing and winter camping next weekend, and thought where better to do it than Garibaldi.
The plan is to drive up early saturday morning to the Diamond head parking trailhead. Directions are here: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/garibaldi/diamond.html. Note that tire chains are mandatory for the final 2km stretch to the upper parking lot, but we can always just hike this section from the lower parking lot. We will work this out with the drivers!
Here is the parking lot location: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Diamond+Head+Trail+Parking+Lot,+Garibaldi+Park+Rd,+Whistler,+BC+V0N+0A0email@example.com,-123.0321683,8136m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x5486fa47e1b70f73:0x7d20597e5640959e!8m2!3d49.7501334!4d-123.0536048.
From there we will snowshoe to the elfin lakes hut, the route is 11km each way and very well marked. A description of the trail in the winter can be found here: https://www.outdoorvancouver.ca/snowshoe-trail-guide-elfin-lakes/.
We will be camping outside (NOT sleeping in the hut) so make sure to figure out a tent situation. If you are ultralight, feel free to make a snow shelter. A better description on quinzhee making can be found online (such as this blog post https://sectionhiker.com/how-to-build-a-quinzhee-snow-shelter/). Theyre pretty easy to build, and quite warm in my experience, but its a good idea to bring along extra warm mats and sleeping bags. Evening activities will probably consist of shelter building and drinking and games!
Important Note: We will need a backcountry pass for each tent, theyre $6 each and can be purchased here: https://discovercamping.ca/Garibaldi.
Anyways! Feel free to email me ([email protected]) with any questions or concerns, or message me on facebook (Alia Sanger).