VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Intro to Backcountry Skiing · Sat. Jan. 19th - Sun. Jan. 20th
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- This trip does not have an associated Message Board Thread.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Jan. 19th, 6:00 am
End: Sunday, Jan. 20th, 10:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Wednesday, Jan. 16th, 6:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Clubroom
EDIT: DATES CHANGED!
Are the resorts just not cutting it lately? Are the lines at Whistler giving you anxiety? Are you cheap and don't mind getting a bit cold and a bit tired?
Then you should give backcountry skiing a try!
On this trip, more experienced VOCers will show you the ropes of travelling in the backcountry, including winter tent camping and avalanche awareness (however this trip in no way substitues an actual avalanche safety course - if you are more serious about backcountry skiing you should take your AST1!).
We will skin up to a secret (TBD) location, set up camp, ski, sleep, ski, and ski back to the cars.
- ability to ski blue runs, ideally with tree-skiing experience
- ability to carry overnight gear for one night (backpacking experience)
For more details and equipment lists, see the wiki page here.
Are you a more experienced backcountry skier? You should sign up as a helper!