VOC trips are organized by members like yourself, not professional guides. The trips go into wilderness areas where assistance is unavailable and unexpected events can occur. You could be seriously injured or die. You are responsible for your own actions. Please use caution.
Winter Longhike 2019 - Snow Caves! · Sat. Feb. 2nd - Sun. Feb. 3rd
Warning: This is an old trip - it already happened
- Details Page: Where you can see brief trip details (publicly viewable).
- Wiki Page: For additional information/organization (publicly viewable).
- Message Board Thread: Discuss this trip with other members here.
- Signup Page: Where you can signup, bail, edit participation entries, see/email members on the trip, etc.
- Drivers Page: Where you can arrange rides, get pickup directions and email by car.
- Wikitext Page: From where you can cut and paste information formatted for the wiki.
- Printable List Page: Which generates a printable list of participants.
- Edit Page: Where the trip organizer can edit the entry for this trip.
- Mark Going Page: Where the trip organizer can sign members up as "actually going".
- Modify Signups: Where the trip organizer can change signup classes.
Start: Saturday, Feb. 2nd, 9:00 am
End: Sunday, Feb. 3rd, 3:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting: Tuesday, Jan. 29th, 7:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting location: Woodward Theatre 1 (WOOD 1) MAP
Depending on weather, the location may change to Manning Park, likely in the Three Brothers Mountain area near Cambie creek.
Another option is the Sea to Sky Gondola backcountry near the base of Skypilot or Habrich. Nevertheless, this would likely involve each person covering the cost of the gondola ride up and down, which could range between $30 and $45 depending on the group discount.
The final trip location will be decided at the pretrip and will depend on what drivers and participants want to do (likely by show of hands).
Always wanted to stay in a five star winter resort? Nahhhhhh..... Or just interested in practicing to survive a night in the snow if you dont have a tent? You can build your own snow castle during Winter Longhike!
The trip will involve a hike into the Seymour backcountry (or another location yet to be determined) where you can build your own snow cave for the night followed by dinner, singing, and generally staying warm. We will hike out the next morning. This is a beginner friendly trip so people that are new to the club and winter activities are more than welcome. Trip is suitable for skiers or snowshoers
Note that we are in the Backcountry and that you will be responsible to stay with the group, bring some warm (dry) clothes and shovel/sleeping gear. Details about what to bring will be discussed during the pre trip meeting (Woodward Theatre 1 - WOOD 1).
Be safe and have fun!